Customer service, is critical for your business, in today’s time. You would ask why and is it more important than the marketing of your business? The answer is, it is as important, as businesses spread and flywheel through the word-of-mouth, and if a business doesn’t give importance to its customers and offers terrible customer service, it is highly likely to lose the customer base that it acquired at the beginning of the startup process. It is as important as customer acquisition, and you’d probably need fewer resources and funds allocation for remarkable customer service.
All you need is a well-trained team of individuals; customer representatives that understand the core and ideology of your business and are capable of providing best solutions to your customers.
Customer Service Communication - Current Trend News from Gartner
According to this press release
, Gartner says that by 2020 25 % of Customer Service Operations will use virtual customer service assistants, from less than 2% back in 2017.
Where do businesses go wrong when providing customer service?
Businesses often do not take into account the importance of customer service, and how it is the main area of direct connection between the customers and your business. Even if you acquired customers with great growth hacking and performance marketing techniques, you’d need to retain your customers, win their trust, they should feel your business is accessible and understand their problems, and you are ready to help. If they feel your team is distant, not understanding their needs, and not giving adequate answers to product queries, they’d move to the next company and next product.
It is highly important to respect your customers and earn a reputation, and you’d get it back with tremendous appreciation and new customers, recommended by your happy customers. Customer retention is what makes your business fly high, so if you’re not able to master that, there is no future for your business. Businesses also go wrong when they are trying to project an image they are not, for example, you can never win an argument with a customer, the customer is always right, and it is very important to respond to them politely, rather being argumentative, and defending the failure of your services.
It is very important for your customer service representatives to understand that they don’t need to prove anything or win an argument, rather be accommodating towards the customers. Another issue new companies have, which is not replying back to customer queries inadequate time, either have a small team or highly incompetent team, or the business hasn’t invested at all in customer service. If you have nothing to tell your customers, they won’t ask. Every customer is different, lend an ear and hear them out. It is no surprise that many businesses have lost revenues due to poor customer service. An estimate shows that in 2018 alone, businesses have lost up to $75 Billion due to poor customer service.
This is quite eye-opening, as the times are changing, customers are becoming more interactive and want answers quickly, and solutions immediately. Often when the customer service quality is too high, customers are willing to pay a high price for the same product/ service. 67% of customers have become “switchers”, who would switch any company due to poor customer service.
Often customers complain about the following aspects:
- Customers don’t like the attitude or behavior of the customer service department and don’t feel appreciated or respected enough.
- Customers are given answers by a robotic help chat, and they are unable to speak to a real person representing the company.
- The customer service is unaware of or have zero knowledge regarding information on all company products.
- Customers have to access multiple numbers and are hung up for longer periods, and have to wait for an answer.
- There is no reply from the customer service email or text channel for more than 24 hours.
What are the customer service best practices in 2019?
As the dynamics are changing, people don’t want an automated or robotic answer to their queries, rather they are looking for understanding and an emotional response from the customer service rep. 86% of customers suggest that they would do business again with the same company if they feel a connection with the customer service agent. Therefore, it writes off any type of service that is cold, rude or unaware. This also applies to the staff you have at your retail store or any other shop, if the staff is disinterested, lazy and rude, no one would like to come back to that store, again.
Here you find the most important customer service best practices:
- Businesses have to be customer oriented; an increase in customer retention to 5% increases profits up to 25%. Responding to customers quickly, in a timely manner and with the adequate response is important.
- The one who wins the satisfaction and trust of a customer wins the game; never refuse, deny or say “No” to your customer. And don’t try to win an argument, as previously stated.
- A customer service hack is to always call back and provide immediate assistance to an unhappy customer, and bring all your resources on board to salvage the situation.
- If your customer is expecting a callback or reply to an email, reply to them in a timely fashion, with an adequate response. Give a head up, and assure them that you are working on their problem.
- Customer service isn’t one size fits all, customers have a lot of awareness and intelligence these days - don’t give them copy-pasted replies.
- Be best at communication, there is no purpose of a customer representative if he/she can’t speak the language of your customers, fluently.
- The best customer service practice would be honoring your customers, and making them feel special and taken care of.
- Customer service team should be well-informed and updated on all the product changes and promotions.
Customer Service Facts and Figures you should be aware of
There are quite some statistics that prove the importance of good customer service.